photo goldstripe---LetterstoAmelia_zps20e80237.png
BLOG TITLEBLOG TITLEBLOG TITLE
 photo goldstripe---LetterstoAmelia_zps5f5785ea.png

Monday, January 26, 2015

Dear teenager that thinks my toddler is SO CUTE...

First of all, she is really cute, like the kind of cute that my 64gb phone can't hold anymore pictures or videos kind of cute...but I'm also annoyingly biased because she is my sweet baby girl. 
{Image by the talented Lacy Dagerath}
BUT...she's not always cute. Yes, when we saw you in the doctor's office on Friday she was well behaved and saying hello to everyone and waving bye to the fish and speaking all kinds of gibberish that made everyone smile and laugh. 

After you went back to your appointment with the pediatrician {who you still see because whether you like to think so or not you're still a child} we followed shortly after and my cute little toddler had to get a shot. She takes these things pretty well now but it hasn't always been that way. We've been going through this routine since she was a tiny little newborn. I'll never forget her 2 month vaccinations. She cried so much that it physically hurt me inside. I was prepared for that because we'd been through it before in the hospital and several times since then. See newborns...they cry A LOT and it's not just a little whimper, every cry feels like a 911 emergency kind of cry.

After they gave her the shots, I calmed her down, fed her a bottle and we went on our way. Fast forward to four hours later and out of nowhere she was miserable, crying hysterically and could not be soothed. She didn't want to eat, she didn't need her diaper changed, she wasn't tired and she just had some tylenol so she shouldn't have been in any pain. The constant crying continued for over an hour when we concluded that she was having some sort of reaction to the vaccines. {...the thing about parenting newborns and toddlers is that for the most part you have no idea what is wrong with them and they can't tell you}

Thankfully after three hours of non-stop crying and screaming {and my husband and I fighting and yelling} she calmed down and went to sleep. Although it was close to midnight our night had just begun. We had to watch her closely for the next few hours to make sure the reaction was only mild and nothing life threatening. It wasn't, Praise Jesus, but sleep deprived or not my husband had to get up for work the next morning and since I was still home on maternity leave I would be up as soon as she woke up which if I remember correctly was around 6am. Sleep or no sleep we both had responsibilities waiting for us the next day. 

This is one small example of how hard parenting is. It is scary, emotional, frustrating and extremely difficult. It is also the most wonderful thing I've ever experienced because I waited until I was mentally, emotionally and financially ready to raise and support a child. When I'm tired or close to my breaking point I have a husband who steps in and takes over for me. We are partners. When we need diapers, baby food and clothes, we go to the store and buy them. When we need time alone as a couple we pay a babysitter and go to dinner. When I need advice or encouragement I turn to my friends who are also mothers and we bond over shared experiences. 

You may have a good head on your shoulders and already know all of this but it has been on my mind since we met you last week. Yes, my toddler is the cutest little girl in the world but she's also a lot of work. She's worth every second of it but that doesn't make it any easier. Thank you for your sweet compliments, I hope that if you hear one thing from me you'll hear this, it will be your turn one day. Until then, prepare yourself so that when it's your turn, you'll be the best mom to your own super cute, and completely adorable toddler. 


xoxo, 

Mandy 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...