photo goldstripe---LetterstoAmelia_zps20e80237.png
BLOG TITLEBLOG TITLEBLOG TITLE
 photo goldstripe---LetterstoAmelia_zps5f5785ea.png

Thursday, November 6, 2014

be the change

I'd like to start by saying thank you so much to everyone who participated in the survey.  Although the questions were basic, it gave me some perspective on where the majority lie in regards to feminism. You can check out the results yourself by clicking here: Survey Results  

I know I've left you all hanging for way too long on this post. Life has been cray to say the least. {MY BAD} I am actually really glad I didn't get to this post as quickly as I had planned because the more I thought about it the more my thoughts on the subject changed. More on this later but in the meantime, I'm sure at least a few of you are wondering where this topic came from to begin with so here we go...

Recently, my husband and I have been at odds about some of my feminist points of view. Our disagreement came as a surprise to me as we tend to agree on most things. In my frustration, I decided to do some research and organize my thoughts and opinions in a blog post. I wanted to prove my point to him and anyone else who doesn't see things my way. {I enjoy being right, I am often wrong and am usually quick to admit it but yes, I enjoy being right}

Over the past few weeks, I worked on a rough draft but I just never found the time or inspiration to finish it.  I found it difficult to put all of my thoughts into words and after a while I wasn't even sure I cared to finish the post. I sat on my thoughts for a few days and tried to pinpoint exactly how I felt. Here's what I came up with:
  1. It's okay if everyone doesn't understand my point of view.
  2. It's okay if people view feminism negatively. 
  3. I can only change myself; I can't change others. 
  4. God created men and women equally. {"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galations 3:28} *Side note-we were created equal but differently and one of the contacts I reached out to, Shannon Kirkpatrick, pointed this out to me and also that he believed these differences should be celebrated and not forced into oneness. Thank you for always giving me your informed perspective, Shannon. I took your thoughts to heart and was blown away with how something so simple could transform my perspective*
  5. Proving my point doesn't solve anything. 
The last point I've listed really challenged me because I wanted to write about this on MY blog for ME but I kept coming back to whether or not my post would help solve anything. Then, while driving into work, I heard this passage being read on KSBJ, "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

God has an awesome way of pointing things out to me when I least expect it. I've heard this verse a thousand times.  Normally I would have tuned it out but for some reason I listened closely and out of all the words in this passage these stood out, "...It does not insist on its own way..." These words were confirmation that proving my point wasn't important and that showing and giving love is what's important. I knew then that my old post was no longer the direction I wanted this discussion to go. 

Instead, I want to start a positive discussion with action behind it. All too often we as Christians and "keyboard warriors" have an opinion about everything and feel the need to tell people how to live their lives. For me, it's time to stop being that person and to start being the person that follows what Jesus said in Mark 12, "Love your neighbor as yourself..." Mark 12:31. 
So instead of "proving my point" and insisting on my own way, I'm going to try to be the change I'd like to see in the world. I want to use the platform of this blog {small as it may be} to help others. I thought a lot about what I could do to make a difference {insert blank stare emoticon here} and then I came across, of all things, a Facebook post that was like a flashing arrow from the BIG Guy upstairs. The post was from a friend of a friend, they were requesting baby items for a teen motherhood program for a local high school. I knew instantly that this was something that I not only have the ability to do but it is also something I really want to do. I want to show love to young mothers and mothers to be and help them be successful despite their difficult circumstances. {without judgement or any other strings attached}

I have a lot of research to do and this idea is still very new but I think with enough hard work it could be great. My first plan of action is to find a program or organization to get involved with. My second plan of action is to organize a baby item donation drive. If you know of an organization or program for young expectant mothers in the Pearland or Houston area please comment below. Also, if you're someone with baby items lying around don't give them away or sell them just yet. My goal is to get the donation drive organized before the end of the year. So set your items aside and save them for these mommies and mommies to be! {When I say baby items, I mean everything it takes to care for babies: clothes, diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, blankets...}

Thank you again for participating in the survey and being apart of God working in me. I hope you will join me on my quest to make a difference!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...